Wednesday, June 1, 2011

Concert Review: Ellie Goulding – Olympia, Dublin, May 31st 2011

Was offered tickets to this at short notice. “Ellie who” I said? "Oh you’ll know the songs" they said. I was dropped into pop music purgatory. What does a serious music fan (verging on muso bore) do when confronted by something like this? Who likes his references literary and guitars heavy as f**k?





There was a heavy female bias in the crowd and a healthy dose of hysteria when Elle Goulding came on stage. There was also a real whiff of 80s about it, most overtly with the dancing one-fingered keyboard player.



It was never going to be my cup of tea. I don’t drink tea. My qualifications for talking about the actual music are limited in the extreme, but songs like Under The Sheets, Guns and Horses and The Writer were rendered tunefully and got a huge reaction.



Mercifully the gig was short at just over an hour. I was definitely in the minority, not just age bracket wise but also in that everybody else loved it. I didn’t know any of the songs. I would have to say I haven’t been to a gig quite like it.

No comments:

Post a Comment